What is SOS?
SOS is a range of age-specific, pre-measured, powdered carbohydrate drinks. They provide an accurate method of preparing emergency feeds and are available in four different options:
- SOS10 contains 20 grams of carbohydrate. Recommended from birth – 1 year.
- SOS15 contains 30 grams of carbohydrate. Recommended from 1 – 2 years.
- SOS20 contains 40 grams of carbohydrate. Recommended from 2 – 10 years.
- SOS25 contains 50 grams of carbohydrate. Recommended from 10 years +.
It is important to remember that the sachet size used can depend on a number of factors not just age. Your dietitian will recommend which of the sizes you or your child should take based on individual requirements.
Times of illness can be stressful – SOS has been specifically designed to help reduce anxiety during this time. The pre-measured sachets are easy to use, with no weighing or measuring required and all four sachets are always made in the same way. The beaker provided helps overcome the problems of accurate water measurement.
Who is SOS for?
SOS can be used from birth, right the way through childhood and into adulthood. Remember there are four sachet sizes. So as your child grows up, they will just need to change the sachet size used. Your dietitian will advise you on which one is appropriate for use.
Why do I need to use SOS?
In times of illness, extra energy is required to ensure amino acid levels are kept under control. SOS provides that energy in a pre-measured dose which when made up to 200mls, provides energy at a safe concentration for the patient’s age. SOS can be used alongside your MSUD protein substitute.
It may be necessary to supplement SOS with amino acids isoleucine and valine. Your dietitian will advise you if this is necessary.
How much SOS do I need?
The amount of SOS needed will depend on a variety of factors including age and weight. Your dietitian will tell you exactly how much SOS should be used and how often.
How do I use SOS?
SOS is easy to prepare. Regardless of which SOS product you require, it is always made up to 200ml.
- Clean and sterilise an infant feeding bottle. Empty 1 x SOS10 sachet into the bottle. Make sure you use the full sachet.
- Make up to a final volume of 200ml with cooled, boiled water.
- Replace lid, shake well until dissolved and use the feed immediately.
For SOS15, SOS20 & SOS25:
- Empty 1 x SOS sachet into the beaker provided. Make sure you use the full sachet.
- Make up to a final volume of 200ml with water.
- Replace lid, shake well until dissolved.
- Once prepared, the feed should be used immediately or stored in a refrigerator and used within 24 hours.
What flavour is SOS?
SOS is unflavoured.
SOS is a food for special medical purposes and should be used under strict medical supervision.