- 400g aubergines
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion – finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic – crushed
- 1 red pepper – finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes (juice drained)
- 50g tomato puree
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Lots of chopped parsley
- 300g Jerusalem artichokes – peeled and finely sliced
- 350ml ProZero®
- 70g butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 100g grated Violife cheese
- To make the moussaka, cut the aubergines into rounds about the thickness of a pound coin, toss in oil, season and griddle for 2 mins each side.
- Fry the onion, pepper and garlic until soft, add the puree, cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes and cinnamon and cook for a further 5 mins. Add the aubergines and cook for 5 – 10 mins. Transfer to an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the chopped parsley on top.
- To make the topping, place the artichoke slices in a pan of salted water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 8 – 10 mins until they are cooked.
- Drain the artichokes, then layer the slices over the aubergine to form a lid type topping. Pour the ProZero into a medium size pan with the butter. Heat gently until the butter has melted.
- In a small bowl mix the cornflour with cold ProZero until you have a smooth pourable mixture. Pour this into the pan and over a medium heat keep stirring until the mixture thickens (this will take a couple of minutes).
- Once you have a smooth thick sauce season with salt, white pepper, grated nutmeg and half the grated cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. Pour this over the artichoke slices and sprinkle over the remaining grated Violife cheese. Place in the oven and bake at 180ºC/Gas4 for about 30 minutes until the topping is bubbling and golden brown.
ProZero is a food for special medical purposes and must only be used under strict medical supervision