- 500g Fate low protein all-purpose mix
- 2 tsp soft dark brown sugar
- 1 x sachet of yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 100ml olive oil
- 275ml water
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic – crushed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried mixed italian herbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion – thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper – deseeded and thinly sliced
- Handful of pitted olives
- 1 small courgette – cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 chilli – chopped
- 200g Violife mozzarella
- To make the calzone base, place the Fate low protein all-purpose mix in a large bowl with the sugar, salt and yeast. Mix well so all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Add the olive oil and half the water. Mix with a wooden spoon to form dough. Gradually add the remaining water and stir. You should have a soft slightly sticky dough.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave the dough to prove for at least 2 hours.
- To make the tomato sauce, place the tomatoes into a wide based saucepan and heat gently until it begins to bubble.
- Add the garlic, sugar and mixed herbs. Lower the heat and simmer gently until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Turn off the heat and stir in the olive oil.
Leave to cool.
- To make the calzone, pre heat your oven to 200ºc/Gas6.
- Dust a work surface with a little Fate low protein all-purpose mix.
- Take the risen dough and cut in half. Take 1 piece of dough and shape into a ball. Roll the dough into a large circle approximately 30cm wide to make the dough base.
- Spread some of the tomato sauce over the dough base to cover thinly, leaving a 2cm border without tomato sauce.
- Lay half the prepared vegetables on one half of the dough base, and sprinkle over half the mozzarella, then add a spoonful of sauce on top.
- Fold the uncovered half of the dough base over the vegetable and mozzarella, bringing the edges together neatly to close, and then crimp the edges to seal.
- Repeat with the other ball of dough to make a second calzone.
- Place the prepared calzones on baking trays.
Bake for 20 mins then reduce the temperature to 180ºC/Gas4 and bake for another 10 mins. The pastry should be crisp and golden.
- Serve straight from the oven.
Fate low protein all-purpose mix is a food for special medical purposes and must only be used under medical supervision.